The way in which the Charity has been structured has changed over the centuries. The Dulwich Almshouse Charity became an independent charity in 1995.
The 'objects of the Charity' are to relieve beneficiaries in cases of need, hardship or distress by the provision and maintenance of almshouses and otherwise as the Trustees think fit.
The beneficiaries are the inhabitants of the ‘area of benefit’ which consists of the former parishes (as constituted on 1 May 1891) of: St. Botolph, Bishopsgate; St. Luke, Old Street; St. Saviour, Southwark; and Camberwell. A further Scheme of 21 August 2000 extended the area of benefit, as regards financial assistance to beneficiaries, to include parishes within the area of benefit of the Bishopsgate Foundation.
The Dulwich Almshouse Charity is itself a beneficiary of the Dulwich Estate and approximately 43 % of our income is derived from the Dulwich Estate (less than 2% of the income of the Dulwich Estate)